- This event has passed.
Living in this World: How trauma affects our ability to relate and what we can do about it
November 10, 2018 @ 9:30 am - November 11, 2018 @ 5:30 pm
Without knowing it, we are often taken out of connection to ourselves and others by memories of difficult past events which remain alive in our brains and prevent us from having full choice in the moment. As part of those histories, “In order to belong, survive or honor our families, we have made unconscious and silent agreements with ourselves, our caregivers, or the world, which can keep us feeling stuck, small and constrained .” But we can release ourselves from agreements that no longer serve us, and “live a life of our choosing”.
Join Sarah Peyton, CNVC certified trainer and author of Your Resonant Self: Guided Meditations and Exercises to Engage Your Brain’s Capacity for Healing, for a weekend of exploration of Nonviolent Communication, trauma recovery, connection, and healing.
- Understand how emotional trauma affects brains and how we relate to others
- Be able to tell when brains and bodies are being relational, including decoding the signs of which nervous system states we are in, and whether we are ready to be relational
- Differentiate relational from instrumental language in conversations
- Identify the deep needs behind the effects of unconscious agreements made through trauma
- Experience the healing possibilities of resonant, warm language
- Learn skills for releasing unconscious agreements and clearing relationships of trauma
1721 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
This event is a fundraiser for BayNVC as Sarah has graciously donated her time for the training.
General Ticket $325 – Bring-a-Friend! As a result of Sarah’s donation and the size of our venue, it turns out we have more capacity than we originally thought for this workshop, and we really want to give as many folks as possible an opportunity to experience Sarah’s work, so we are extending the offer for you to bring a friend for free with the purchase of a General ticket (although additional donations would be greatly appreciated, and there will be an opportunity for those at the event). Just email the name of the friend who will be attending with you and please have them fill out the Registration Form.
Inclusion Ticket $425; Purchase of this ticket makes possible the attendance of those who would otherwise be unable to attend due to economic barriers. $100 of this ticket is tax deductible.
Invitation Ticket $0; We are explicitly looking for participation by people who come from any of the following communities, and have set aside a number of seats for them free of charge. We know that when these people are in the room, the community benefits:
- Low-income/Poor or Working class people (please refer to this definition as a guideline when self-identifying in this category: http://www.classmatters.org/working_definitions.php)
- People with visible or invisible disabilities
- People who do not have white skin privilege and/or who come from communities who have been targets of racism.
- People who were formerly incarcerated
- People who are immigrants
If this is you, please contact us so that we can be in dialog about your attendance. We want you here!
Please fill out this initial Registration Form and use the paypal link below (this step is not necessary for an Invitation Ticket) to register for this event. See the Tuition section directly above for guidelines on how to chose your ticket. Please only use the sliding scale option if you have talked to Heather about an Invitation Ticket or to make an additional donation. Thanks!
Please contact Heather Austin with any questions you may have.