- This event has passed.
Convergent Facilitation, 3-day training in SW United Kingdom
December 9, 2016 - December 11, 2016
Have you ever dreaded going to a meeting or watched in dismay as a group collapses into conflict?
If you work with groups that struggle to make decisions or collaborate effectively, this workshop is for you. You’ll receive intensive training in Convergent Facilitation, a unique decision-making process developed by Miki Kashtan based on the principles of Nonviolent Communication.
Convergent Facilitation taps into a group’s shared purpose and leads to decisions that everyone truly supports – without sacrificing productivity, efficiency, and forward momentum.
The method is versatile: use it for fast emergency response, breaking through bottlenecks, or collaboration throughout the life cycle of a long-term project. It gives you tools to address power differences so everyone at the table can speak frankly about what really matters to them. It even works with highly polarized groups, like the longtime political enemies who recently used Convergent Facilitation to pass landmark legislation in Minnesota.
Who it’s for
- Team leaders: Reap the benefits of whole-hearted collaboration: buy-in at all levels, a more cohesive team, and better decisions informed by stakeholder needs.
- Community organizers and activists: Learn to surface people’s core concerns and reach consensus decisions where no one is marginalized, while avoiding long, draining, divisive meetings.
- Facilitators: Zoom in on the source of conflicts, and learn transformative, practical options that work even when your group seems completely stuck.
- Mediators: Get new tools to help any number of parties work towards breakthrough solutions, using a process that is transparent to all.
What you can take away
- A practical, step-by-step processfor discovering breakthrough solutions to problems that seemed unsolvable
- A strategy that helps people transcend conflicts, stretch beyond their initial positions, and embrace a decision that attends to everyone’s needs
- Many ways to keep a meeting moving forward without leaving anyone behind
- Opportunities for ongoing coaching and development. Miki is passionate about cultivating a community of practice around Convergent Facilitation. She is hoping soon to offer coaching calls and/or other forms of support for people who are practicing and developing these facilitation skills.
Want more details? Read this case study for a start-to-finish view of the Convergent Facilitation process and its transformative results.
About the trainer
Miki Kashtan is Lead Collaboration Consultant at the Center for Efficient Collaboration. She has helped hundreds of people work together better in nonprofits, corporations, community groups, and government agencies, among others. Miki’s teaching focuses on hands-on practice and examples from participants’ real lives, so you’re prepared to use the Convergent Facilitation framework as soon as you return to work.
Check out this New York Times article to learn more about Miki’s work and the principles and techniques she teaches.
December 9 – December 11, 2016
10:00am – 6:00pm
Part 1: Introduction to Convergent Facilitation
Friday, December 9 | Open to all
Learn a three-stage model of collaborative decision-making and the key facilitation skills for each step. Bring your own examples of real-life group decisions or conflicts to explore how Convergent Facilitation could work in your situation.
Part 2: Building Your Convergent Facilitation Skills
Saturday, December 10 and Sunday, December 11 | Prerequisite: Part 1 or a previous Convergent Facilitation training.
Practice the Convergent Facilitation framework and develop skills for transparency, efficiency, handling power differences, and increasing trust at every stage of the process. Our exercises and role-plays will be guided by the needs and interests that you and others bring to the training.
In order to support sustainability for Miki and those involved in her organization and in putting the event on, we would like to receive an average of the amounts listed below. Please choose according to your resources. It’s very important to us that this training can be accessed by all those who are drawn to attend, so if the amount of money requested is beyond your means, please let us know and contribute only what you can.
Part 1 only (Introduction to Convergent Facilitation, Dec 9) – sliding scale £75-£175
Part 2 only (Building Your Convergent Facilitation Skills, Dec 10-11; for those who have taken a past workshop in Convergent Facilitation) – sliding scale £195-£325
Parts 1 and 2 (Introduction and Building Skills, Dec 9-11) – sliding scale £245-£475
St Werburghs Community Centre
Tel: 0117 955 1351
Directions and transport: http://stwerburghs.org.uk/contactus.php
Please contact Sophie Docker by email or phone (+ 44 (0)7837570940) and pay £50 deposit to reserve your place. Please bring cash, check, or credit card to contribute the rest at the event.