A Retreat to Co-create Personal and Collective Capacity
Offered by Miki Kashtan and other trainers and apprentices
- Is the power of nonviolence – courage, truth, and love – deeply calling to your spirit?
- Are you longing for deeper alignment with your values?
- Are you eager for more clarity and inspiration about how you can respond to a world in crisis?
- Would you like to expose yourself to knowledge, principles, and practices that can support you in your work?
- Do you wish for more connection to your own power and ability as you deepen your capacity for a life of service?
This retreat is designed with the following groups of people in mind:
- Members of the soon-to-be-launched Nonviolent Global Liberation Apprenticeship Program and Learning Community (NGL) who want to be part of the annual in-person retreat
- People who want an in-person exploration of what NGL is about before joining
- People who resonate with any of the questions above who would you like to be immersed in a vibrant, thriving, co-creative learning community for a week
- NVC trainers, mediators, facilitators, managers, and consultants who want to enrich their work through learning about Miki’s approach to these areas
This retreat is designed to create the conditions that would allow all of us who attend to take a next step in our understanding, capacity for interdependent living, practice, service, and contribution to support the possibility of nonviolent global liberation.
Our time together will draw from the following elements:
- Nonviolence: deepening understanding of the path and its implications for all aspects of life
- Internal liberation: transcending individual socialization and collective patriarchal patterns to reclaim freedom and collaboration for the benefit of all
- Leadership: willingly and unilaterally embracing interdependent responsibility for the whole
- Power and privilege: engaging with their causes and effects internally, in relationships, within organizations, and in society
- Organization development: applying a needs- and collaboration perspective to all aspects of organizational function, from the internal to the systemic
- Social change: fleshing out fully all aspects of the work, including vision, relationships, inner work, and strategic approaches to social transformation
- Facilitation: Basic and advanced elements of group facilitation, including Convergent Facilitation
- Principle-Based Teaching: understanding, living, and sharing NVC from the perspective of principles and practices rather than specific methods
What of these will we cover at the retreat? This is where co-creation comes in. Everyone coming is invited to become an active part of shaping what it will look like.
Each day, Miki is planning to offer teaching, practice, and coaching in one or more of the areas named above based on her 21 years of experience sharing NVC, facilitating, and consulting with organizations and communities.
In parallel, others present, including in particular NGL members, are likely to present workshops, practice sessions, coaching, and empathy in their own areas of focus based on what they have learned from Miki and elsewhere. (Note: You will have an opportunity to name what you may want to offer after you register.)
Together, we can create a menu for the retreat in which everyone can find their place to contribute, to learn, to grow, to weave connections, and to dip into the vision of a world that works for all.
The workshop will be taught in English.
About the Team
Miki Kashtan has been leading workshops and retreats around the world since 1996 and applying NVC in working with organizations since 2001. She co-founded Bay Area Nonviolent Communication (BayNVC) in 2002 and the Center for Efficient Collaboration in 2015. She blogs on The Fearless Heart, where she engages with topics ranging from inner freedom to global governance. The Nonviolent Global Liberation project is her latest effort to contribute decisively to supporting a growing group of people, fully committed to acting in each moment, in full power in support of the vision of world that truly works for all life. She is from Israel and lives in Oakland, CA.
Vérène Nicolas and Sabine Geiger have studied and taught with Miki for years and have been actively using her approach in their own work. Vérène engages extensively in community settings in Scotland and elsewhere. Sabine supports NVC certification candidates and focuses on NVC using the body. Vérène is from France and lives in Scotland. Sabine is from and lives in Germany.
Magda Baranska and Joanna Berendt have been organizing events with this team for several years and have a rich experience of holding groups and activities relying on what they have learned and absorbed in years of working together with each other and in support of the vision the inspires Miki’s work. They both live in Warsaw, Poland.
Making the retreat sustainable for all is an art form, and part of the commitment to learning to create a world that works for all. In the context of a retreat, where there is some exchange built into it, the details of how we intend to apply this visionary frame to the realities of this retreat are complex. We plan to share them with registrants once we have enough data about registrations and other information, most likely in the last few weeks before the retreat.
If you are not quite ready to step into the full gift economy, we are quite confident that choosing any amount within the following range would work for us:
- Participants from Central and Eastern Europe: US$600-1200 sliding scale
- Participants from Western Europe: US$850-1700 sliding scale
We are aware that the level of living costs as well as the wages are very different in Eastern and Western Europe. For this reason, we’ve chosen Poland as our hosting country to reduce the cost of accommodation and food and in this way to make the retreat more available for everyone. We ask participants from Western Europe who are opting out of the gift economy at this retreat to give more for tuition so that the cost of the workshop is shared based on what everyone can contribute and not on arithmetic. If this does not work for you, you are welcome to choose any amount that works for you as part of the gift economy we are setting up. It is our intent to make this training available to anyone regardless of their financial means. If you need more clarity about the amount that would work for us, especially if you come from outside Europe, please contact the organizers.
Upon registration, all participants will be asked to give a deposit of US$400 (or less if you are unable to provide the full amount at the time of registration).
We would like to make it clear that tuition is in addition to and separate from room and board costs, and is given to different organizations.
The workshop will be held in Zagroda Ojrzanów which is located near Warsaw in beautiful surroundings. It is an amazing place with a small lake for swimming, bikes to rent, forest to walk in, and great food. It takes half an hour by car from Warsaw Airport Okęcie (WAW) or central train station and an hour from Modlin Airport (WMI). We offer you private transportation from both airports and the train station to the venue.
96-321 Żabia Wola
Lodging and Food
Room and board costs are in addition to the tuition amount. These are non-negotiable and required by our host venue. You will pay in cash in Polish Zloty PLN directly to the venue for food, coffee breaks and accommodations when you arrive. When you register for the retreat, you will receive a link to an Accommodation, Meal and Transportation Options Form, where you will be able to let us know about your preferences, so that we can take care of you. Room assignments are subject to availability and are first-come-first-served.
Please see options of food and accommodation for the whole retreat. Packages include meals starting from lunch on 4th June ending with lunch on 10h June.
- All Meals + Bed + Coffee Breaks – 1190 PLN
- All Meals + Tent / Barn + Coffee Breaks – 870 PLN (please bring your own sleeping bag, mat & tent)
- Lunch + Supper + Coffee Breaks – 680 PLN
- Lunch + Coffee Breaks – 490 PLN
- Coffee Breaks – 190 PLN
If you need transportation from the airport or bus/train station to the venue, we can offer you private transport. Please feel free to ask for details if you need more information now.
How to Register
To reserve your space with a US$400 deposit, select the NGL-Poland Deposit option below. If you are unable to provide the amount of US$400, please enter an alternative amount.
See BayNVC’s policy about cancellations and refunds here. Please see below how it works in detail for this retreat:
- If you cancel by April 22, 2018, we will gladly refund what you have given minus $100 to cover our administrative costs.
- If you cancel after April 22, 2018, but before May 13, 2018, we will refund what you have given minus $400 to cover venue costs in addition to administrative costs.
- If you cancel after May 13, 2018, we offer no refund; however you may transfer your registration to someone else.